Sunday 16 July 2017

Chinese Gordon

A figure painted yesterday afternoon. May I present Gordon Pasha (AKA Chinese Gordon, Gordon of Khartoum) or his less well known name Major General Charles George Gordon. ( LINK TO WIKI ).

Clearly a hero of the Victorian age, but most well known for his failed defence of Khartoum against the Mahdi.


I am sure we all remember the film but there is also a statue locally of him riding a camel. No You cannot see it as it inside an army barracks but trust me it is there.

Additionally you may recall seeing this famous painting which is probably the most famous painting by George W. Joy. And serves very well as a tribute to the Victorian Hero.

The figure is 28mm by Perry Miniatures (As Matt so kindly reminded me). And all the colours have been taken from the painting to the right. Clearly the artist was not present at the battle so perhaps the ending was not quite like this. Then again if you read Major General Gordon heroic exploits in the Crimean war perhaps it was.

Either way he is a hero without doubt and served well in the Sudan where he ended slavery.

Matt was due to collect him today but due to illness has had to postpone until later in the week or maybe this time next week.

Either way the figure was a joy to paint and I am sure he will be appreciated when Matt does collect him.










24 comments:

  1. That's a very nice figure and your painting has certainly done him justice. Well done, Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. It is always good to have a pic to work from. Makes it so much easier.

      Delete
  2. very nice rendition Clint and great insight for anyone who doesn't know the background

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. The picture is so Iconic I am sure most wargamers will at least have seen it before. So maybe it was just a gentle reminder.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on this famous individual. I need to watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I am sure you mean you will have to watch the movie AGAIN!I feel sure you will have already seen it.

      Delete
  4. Excellent brush work Clint - very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict. The next lot of Egyptians are already finished... Zombies are about to be finished and then on to Cavalry again!

      Delete
  5. Ah a fitting leader model. Gordon looks fab, what a tribute to a Victorian hero

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andy. I was much taken of the statue of him when I was a lad. It is after all not often that you See a camel in the Medway towns.

      Delete
  6. An excellent figure Clint. There's a great statue of him in the Gordon gardens at the Prom in Gravesend. And I went to Gordon School too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. My school was named after the road it was in! So I cannot claim any significant link in that way to anyone. I shall look up the Statue in Gravesend, Thax again.

      Delete
  7. Great stuff.....I'm going to look out for this one 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. The figure is a Perry Miniature but I am not sure if you mean the film. If the film I would try either Amazon or eBay.

      Delete
  8. Spending work Clint in such an iconic figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I well remember you painting this figure. So praise indeed from you.

      Delete
  9. Fab job and what an interesting piece of art he is based on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brummie. The work of George W. Joy really is (in this instance) so iconic of the battle it would be a shame not to include it in the post.

      Delete
  10. Ooh, I like that. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. It was a joy to paint and I think it has turned out well. (Modest aren't I)


      Delete
  11. Nicely painted, well done with evoking the historical character and painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Citizen. The painting is so iconic that I am glad the sculptor (One of the Perry brothers) made it easy to recognise the figure.

      Delete
  12. Not a very dynamic figure but it's so obviously Gordon isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. All credit to the sculptor for making it look like Gordon of Khartoum. I just slapped the paint on it.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.